Thursday, September 30, 2010

Affluenza

The American dream, or is it really? In class the other day we discussed some excerpts from the book Affluenza :the all consuming epidemic. In the reading it discusses our American culture and how we as Americans have become overly materialistic. I never really looked at it before but the more I think about it, I agree that America has become very materialistic.  In the reading it talks about how America's values have become so selfish and individualized. In the excerpt,it says, "the accumulation of material goods is at an all time high, but so is the number of people who feel an emptiness in their lives". This shows how we have forgotten what values are all about. In other cultures peoples values are less about status, but more about family as a whole. In America people think bigger is better. We work all the time and a lot of people spend most of their time at work, while not even seeing their kids till bedtime. We as Americans have become so fast paced with drive-thrus , shopping online, and working non-stop. I think that the author of the this excerpt is on the right track about the fact that the American culture does need to take a step back and realize that we have become too materialistic and need to go back to more humble, family oriented values. I think that Americans need to think more about family and less about material objects. We as Americans need to become more of a community again and remember that the American dream is not only about having a good income and high status, but also about family and friendship as a whole. it is also about freedom, and not becoming slaves to materialism. I know this is easier said then done. I noticed that I tend to be materialistic too. I work hard in school so I can go to a good college, and then get a job to make a lot of money to be able to buy and live the way most Americans live. I realized from this that through my life I have to remember to be less materialistic and value my family and friends and to spend time with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment