Thursday, September 2, 2010
Social construction of reality
Who decides how we experience the world? Our friends, our family units, and our society we live in, but surprisingly rarely us. It is all about social construction of reality. Society controls what people feel. If someone came into a classroom and spit we would think that is gross and repulsive, but if someone spits at a baseball field we think that is ok. In the united states when a women gets engaged, right away she starts a diet to lose a ton of weight to look skinny for her wedding. However, in Africa when a women gets engaged, she is sent to a hut and is fed fattening food in order to gain weight to look good for their wedding. It is all how society constructs us. Another example is, if I saw a biker on the street with a bunch of tattoos I would think that was totally normal, but if I was having open heart surgery and my doctor walked in with a bunch of tattoos I would be worried and a little concerned about how my surgery would go. When you think about it though their is really no difference between a biker with tattoos or a doctor with tattoos it is just because how society has created our views. I am really glad we did this exercise in class because now I am going to take a step back and look at the world through my eyes and decide on things based on what I think and not how society has led us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like your tattoo idea. Just because someone has a bunch of tattoos doesn't mean he isn't capable of performing a surgery like a doctor without tattoos. We have just be taught that people covered with tats belong on bikes, not in operating rooms.
ReplyDelete