Thursday, October 21, 2010
Media:Appearance
This week in class we have been talking about how the media has brainwashed people especially kids that they need to look or act a certain way to be cool, cute, or handsome. We were shown how toys have been changed in looks to attract more kids to buy them. Dora The Explorer was changed into a normal little girl who wore shorts and a t-shirt, to a girl who has long hair, makeup on, a dress, and jewelry. I found this disturbing because it is teaching young little girls that in order to be pretty and cool they have to dress older looking than they are. It is teaching girls that they need to wear makeup to to be seen as pretty, which is totally wrong. Also we watched a Dove commercial today showing how even the models seen on billboards and commercials don't really look like that. Their was so much photo shopping and airbrushing, it was ridiculous. The media is distorting the way little kids and even adults should look. If girls want to look like the models in the magazines, their going to be disappointed because the models don't even look like the way they are pictured. I think that the media needs to start teaching kids that beauty is in the inside too and is more important then how one looks. I think real beauty is liking yourself the way you are and being confident without trying to fit into what the media portrays about looks. When I see girls at the age of 8, I am shocked to see how inappropriate they dress. It sad to see how much they are trying to grow up so fast, when now should be the time that they enjoy their age because they will get older, but they can never get younger.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment