Thursday, October 14, 2010
Nature vs. Nurture
During class this week we talked about nature vs. nurture and discovered that both work off each other and shouldn't be individualized. We talked about children who were locked up in rooms for years or neglected and living with animals. These kids were called feral (wild) children. kids who were living with animals took on animal traits. One girl was barking and crawling like a dog. The kids who were locked up, when found, were not stable and one girl named Danielle was locked in her room for 12 years. When she was found she could not talk and could barely walk, as a result she had the mental capacity of an infant when she was 8 years old. I found this very sad and disturbing what her parents did to her and realized how nurturing is a big part of being human. I thought that most of what made you human was your DNA and genes, but when thinking sociologically your nature is not all that makes you human but a lot is also from your nurture. In order to function the way we should, we need love, attention, and socialization. Now I realize that my parents genes are not all that make me who I am, but what's equally important is how they nurture me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Yes and don't forget how everything else around you is nurturing you too!
ReplyDelete