Sunday, November 28, 2010

Poverty

In  class we watched a movie about a lady named Tammy who lives in poverty with her two sons in Ohio. Tammy and her older son both have high reaching goals to get out of their living conditions and make something of themselves. Tammy wants to go back to school and become a teacher, while her son wants to get a scholarship and go to college to become an architect or lawyer. While watching the movie I realized that the saying, "easier said than done" is really true. Tammy tries really hard to go back to school, by working at Burger King and walking about 10 miles to work no matter what the  weather conditions are. She is still not able to achieve her goal by just herself working. Her son also tries hard, but it is hard to change how you live because it is so easy to give up and just keep living the way you always have. I think that Tammy and her son will be able to achieve their goals, it is just going to take more than just themselves to get them there. They will need support from others as well. I think that they can both succeed and get to where they want to be, it will just take time, patients, and determination along the way. I am very thankful to live the way I do and when I see how some people live such as  Tammy it makes me feel even more thankful. I wish that more people would take a minute and see what they have  compared to other families, and rethink what they do with their money. The holidays are coming up and it's the perfect time of year to give to people in need and help a family for the holidays.

No comments:

Post a Comment