Sunday, November 14, 2010
Saints and Roughnecks
Last week in class we read an article by William Chambliss called, "Saints and Roughnecks". In the article it talked about how the Saints even though were deviant, got away with pretty much everything. The Roughnecks, however, were deviant as well, but got caught all the time. The Saints were rich teenagers who had access to many things and transportation to go where ever they wanted. They always got away with everything because people saw them as good teenagers because of where they lived, how they dressed, and the grades they got in school. The Roughnecks were lower class teenagers who did not have access to as many things and transportation to get out of their area. Since the Roughnecks were lower class, didn't get good grades in school, and were seen as bad teenagers in the community, they always got in trouble. I don't think that it is fair that just because the Saints were upper class means that they can get away with whatever they want. I think that any person should have to deal with the consequences if they did something wrong no matter who you are. In our school I think that we have a lot of Saints because many people get away with things all the time. This fits the idea of what Chambliss was talking about because our school comes from an upper- middle class group of kids, just like the Saints in the article. I think that a lot of kids at our school get away with things, or talk to their dean into letting them have a second chance, or lesser punishment. I also think that at our school their are some Roughnecks and get caught more often based on how they dress and act.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment