Thursday, November 4, 2010
"Rolelessness"
A couple days ago we read an article called, Putting teen-Parent Conflicts into Perspective. In the article it talked about teen rolelessness. During class when talking about the reading we talked about how American teenagers are expected to be dependent and irresponsible. Then when they become adults they are supposed to be independent and responsible. This makes it hard for teenagers to become adults because they are supposed to do the opposite as teens. In the article it talks about how teenagers jobs have changed since back then with the fact that they don't have much adult interaction at work. Also, that teens jobs today don't really teach useful skills that they can use in the future to become independent and adults. American society has created a confusing role for teens, they ares supposed to be dependent, but when their out of college and are adults they are supposed to be independent which may cause many teens to be in shock when their on their own. I think that teens should be independent with certain things and responsible as teens first. Then when they are adults they are ready to be on their own instead of lost. I am taking a Consumer Ed. class in school and I'm learning a lot of how to manage being an adult and on my own. I feel like this class can help me prepare for college and paying bills, managing my credit cards, etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that teens should learn more about being independent- we're expected to act like adults, but it's not required that we actually learn how to do that.
ReplyDeleteNice posts. Glad you are able to take that CE class and find it relevant. Hope sociology is relevant too!
ReplyDelete